One day my mum was cooking a vat of her bolognese sauce when she got distracted and slightly burnt the bottom layer of the bolognese. She simply stirred it all in hoping her three children wouldn’t notice [we didn’t] but I did mention through quick mouthfuls [I used to inhale my food] that it was her best bolognese yet. Ever since that day, I have purposefully burnt my bolognese sauce and honestly – it’s the best!
400g mince [beef/lamb/quorn/diced mushrooms and lentils]
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 chopped red onion
1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
400ml Vegetable Stock
85g Spaghetti [per person]
chopped veg of whatever is in your fridge
Carrots, Courgette, Mushrooms and Peas
A pinch of:
Paprika, Garlic Salt, Black Pepper and a Dash of lemon juice
- Heat up the oil and fry the onions until they begin to brown.
- Add in the mince and as it cooks through break it up with spatula to avoid lumps.
- Add in everything else; vegetables, chopped tomatoes, seasoning and HALF the stock.
- Leave it to simmer for over an hour, wait for all the liquid to soak into the veg or evaporate off and allow the dry base of the pan to slightly burn the bolognese sauce.
- Add in the other half of the stock and allow it to get back up to simmering.
- Whilst that happens, cook the pasta.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and serve with the bolognese sauce.
Until next time,
Similar articles on Popcorn + Pyjamas: