Back in school this was what I was known for. Every birthday all the kids would bring in the fun-sized sugary snacks, I turned up with this homemade heaven.
The recipe I use came from when my mum had cookery classes when she was at school (“back in the old days” as I would tell her – which is why everything is in ounces instead of grams!).
Follow the recipe and let me know how you get on…send me pictures of how yours turns out!
7oz digestive biscuits
4oz chocolate (I use Galaxy)
2 tbspns golden syrup
2 tbspns brown muscavado sugar
1 tbspn cocoa powder
1. Weigh the digestive biscuits and put them into a plastic food bag. (This is the fun part) Smash using a wooden mallet or something similar until all the biscuits are broken up. Make sure you don’t go overboard though, you don’t want to turn the biscuit to dust otherwise your base packs no crunch!
2. Put the margarine, golden syrup, sugar and cocoa into a saucepan and melt slowly until a smooth mixture.
3. Take off the heat and add the biscuit. Mix together until even.
4. Greaseproof a tray before adding the mixture (I use greaseproof paper and line with margarine for easy removal once it’s set) and put in the fridge for up to two hours.
5. Once the base has set you can melt the chocolate and spread evenly on top. Put back into the fridge until it has set (approx. 30-60mins).
Such a simple recipe with delicious results. Calorie content: HIGH